Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ski Helmet Debate Following Death of Actress




Most of you have probably heard of the death of actress, Natasha Richardson. She was skiing on a beginner slope when she hit her head. Claiming that she felt just fine, the actress went on with her day. About an hour later, she complained of a bad headache and was taken to the hospital. She passed away shortly after.

The debate now is whether ski helmets should be mandatory or not. It has been proven that wearing ski helmets saves a significant percentage of those involved in skiing or snowboarding accidents. However, some are concerned that making helmets mandatory would make people take more risks, thinking that they'll be fine because of their helmet.

Wearing a helmet is a good way to prevent or be prepared for a potential emergency! Be safe! To read the full article, visit:

2 comments:

  1. I do not know if I think they should be mandated, although it is my first inclination to say that they should be just because of the good that could be done. But at the same time, there is agency. I don't really know, but I do think that it would be effective to somehow get helmets not to be stigma-ed as "not cool" because so often people feel dumb wearing one when others aren't and that type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love snowboarding but sadly, I don't own a helmet! I think that I feel comfortable enough that I won't try anything that would warrant the need for a helmet. When I wakeboard I make sure to use a helmet, probably just because I'm not as confident wakeboarding. The recent death of Natasha Richardson definitely puts more stress on the debate for helmet use. I don't feel dorky wearing one, so I wouldn't mind if they made them mandatory.

    ReplyDelete